Notice of Fee Increase for Alabama Vital Records on October 1, 2009.
The Alabama Center for Health Statistics began filing divorce certificates in 1950 for divorces that occurred in Alabama. (Information for divorces prior to 1950 must be obtained from the circuit court in the county where the divorce was granted.)
By Alabama law, divorce certificates are unrestricted. They may be requested by anyone who can provide enough information to search for the record and submit payment of the proper fee.
The fee to search for a divorce certificate is $15.00, which includes one certified copy of the divorce certificate or a "Certificate of Failure to Find." For each additional copy of the certificate ordered at the same time, the fee is $6.00. Checks or Money Orders should be made payable to the State Board of Health. Please do not send cash. Fees are non-refundable. Additional fees are required for expedited service.
Please provide as much of the following information as possible for us to locate the divorce certificate:
- full name of husband
- full maiden name of wife
- date of divorce
- county where divorce was granted
- your name
- your signature
- address where the certificate is to be mailed
- your daytime phone number
How to Obtain a Divorce Certificate
- Download Mail-In Application (also available in Spanish)
- By Mail: Send the above information and the appropriate fee to:
Alabama Vital Records
P.O. Box 5625
Montgomery, Alabama 36103-5625
- In Person in Alabama: You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certified copy of an Alabama divorce certificate. Most divorce certificates can be issued while you wait. A map showing locations of county health departments where vital records may be obtained is available. View Reference Map
- To Order a Certificate Online: You may order certificates through a service provider called VitalChek using a credit card. Note that there are additional fees for using this service. Order a Certificate Online.
Apostille and Exemplified Copies
Apostille and Exemplified copies of vital records are routinely required for foreign use. The Apostille and Exemplified copies consist of an Alabama birth, death, marriage, or divorce certificate signed by the State Registrar and an additional certification signed by the Alabama Secretary of State. Certain restrictions apply to Apostille and Exemplified copies of birth and death certificates. For more information on Apostille and Exemplified copies, view the Apostille and Exemplified page.
Not Divorced in Alabama
The National Center for Health Statistics has information on vital records for all states. For more information, view the Link to Other State Information page.
If you have questions or would like information on expediting a certified copy of a divorce certificate, please call (334) 206-5418.