Old Vital Record Indexes Available on Microfilm for Purchase
The Center for Health Statistics has some death, marriage, and divorce indexes available for purchase on rolls of 16 mm microfilm. This film contains copies of old paper indexes as they were originally created to use to search for or locate vital records in the Center for Health Statistics. (Note: We still use many of these indexes to search for records today.) Since these indexes were made at different times, they are grouped with different periods of years together. They also contain very limited information for searching or locating records.
Contents of Microfilm
The information contained in the indexes for each type of record is given below. Most of the indexes are sorted by Soundex Code although a few are in regular alphabetic order. Also, given below are the various periods of years grouped together on each roll of film. Since the microfilm was originally made as back-up copies for these indexes, the break points on the rolls are not always at the end of a year period. However, we wanted to make the information available to genealogists who are looking for older vital records, so we will copy any roll(s) requested.
Understanding Contents of Each Microfilm Roll
Index information is combined and sorted as stated (Soundex or Alphabetically) within the year-ranges indicated. Rolls contain records sorted within the grouped periods of years for the portion of the alphabet stated. For example: Roll 3 contains death index information for letters H-Z of years 1928-1932 sorted as a group; 1933 sorted as an individual year; 1934-1936 sorted as a group; and 1937-1939 sorted as a group.
I. Death Indexes
Indexes contain Name of Deceased, Code for County of Death, Date of Death, and State Certificate Number (Volume and Page)
1908-1922 Sorted Alphabetically
1923-1959 Sorted by Soundex Code
- Roll 1 - 1908-1916 (all); 1917-1919 (A-K)
- Roll 2 - 1917-1919 (L-Z); 1920-1922 (all); 1923-1924 (all); 1925-1927 (all); 1928-1932 (A-G)
- Roll 3 - 1928-1932 (H-Z); 1933 (all); 1934-1936 (all); 1937-1939 (all)
- Roll 4 - 1940 (all); 1941 (all); 1942 (all); 1943 (all); 1944 (all); 1945 (all); 1946 (all)
- Roll 5 - 1947 (all); 1948 (all); 1949-1951 (all); 1952-1959 (A-G)
- Roll 6 - 1952-1959 (H-Z)
II. Marriage Indexes
Indexes contain Name of Bride or Groom, Code for County Where Marriage License Was Issued, Date of Marriage, and State Certificate Number (Volume and Page)
All Sorted by Soundex Code
- Roll 1 - 1936-1939 (all)
- Roll 2 - 1940 (all); 1941 (all); 1942 (A-K)
- Roll 3 - 1942 (L-Z); 1943 (all); 1944 (all)
- Roll 4 - 1945 (all); 1946 (all)
- Roll 5 - 1947 (all); 1948 (all); 1949 (all); 1950-1953 (A-D)
- Roll 6 - 1950-1953 (E-Z); 1954-1959 (A - F)
- Roll 7 - 1954-1959 (G-Z)
- Roll 8 - 1960-1969 (A-D)
- Roll 9 - 1960-1969 (E-L Soundex Code 521)
- Roll 10 - 1960-1969 (L Soundex Code 522 - S Soundex Code 510)
- Roll 11 - 1960-1969 (S Soundex Code 512 - Z)
III. Divorce Indexes
Indexes contain Name of Husband, First Name of Wife, Code for County of Divorce, Date of Divorce, and State Certificate Number (Volume and Page)
Sorted by Soundex Code
The cost for each roll is $55. Make check or money order payable to "Vital Records." Please do not send cash.
Ordering Microfilm Indexes
Use the order form or send a request containing your name, mailing address, roll number(s) and how many copies of each roll you would like to purchase, and $55 for each roll to:
Alabama Vital Records
P.O. Box 5625
Montgomery, Alabama 36103-5625
Download Microfilm Index Order Form
If you have any questions, please call (334) 206-5426.