Women, Infants, and Children Program
The St. Clair County Health Department offers the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program as a smart idea for better health!
WIC is a special supplemental nutrition program for women, infants, and children. To be eligible, you must be one of the following:
- a pregnant woman.
- a breastfeeding woman.
- a woman who just had a baby.
- an infant or child under five years old.
WIC provides nutrition information on healthy foods for you and your family. You will have the opportunity to talk with a registered dietitian regarding your family’s nutritional needs.
Pregnant women and children ages one to five years old may receive milk, eggs, cheese, juice, cereal, dried beans and peas, or peanut butter. Fresh fruits and vegetables have also been added.
Breastfed infants receive a variety of baby foods, including infant cereal, fruits, vegetables, and meats when age appropriate. Breastfeeding mothers may receive breast pumps as well. Non-breastfed infants receive infant formula, plus infant cereal, fruit, and vegetables at the appropriate ages.
Families who qualify for Medicaid, Food Stamps, and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), already income-qualify for WIC.
To be eligible for WIC you must:
- meet income guidelines.
- be a resident of Alabama.
- have a nutrition need, which will be determined by a health professional at the WIC clinic.
How to Apply
Call the St. Clair County Health Department at 205-338-3357 to make an appointment, or call toll-free at 1-888-942-4673 for the agency closest to you.
At the WIC appointment, you will need to bring all of the following:
- proof of residency (a document with your street address on it, such as a lease or bill)
- proof of identity (a driver's license or birth certificate)
- proof of income (pay stubs) or, if you are currently enrolled in TANF, Food Stamps, or Medicaid, bring proof of enrollment
In addition to the main clinic location in Pell City, a satellite clinic is open on Thursdays for WIC services. Call 205-594-4919 to make an appointment.
St. Clair County Health Department
31675 U.S. Highway 411
Ashville, Alabama 35953