Users and owners of x-ray producing machines not used in the healing arts are required to register these machines with the Alabama Office of Radiation Control (the Agency). The Agency categorizes these units as follows:
- Industrial Radiography - Temporary Job Site
- Industrial Radiography - Fixed
- Human Entry Cabinet Radiography
- Industrial Radiography - Cabinet (Closed Door)
- Baggage Radiography
- Product Irradiation - Cabinet
- Product Irradiation - Shielded Room
- Analytical X-Ray Equipment
- Thickness Gauges
- Accelerators with energies less than 0.9 MeV
You may download an application for non-medical x-ray registration (Form NMX) from the Forms page. Applications should be sent to the Radioactive Materials Licensing Branch of the Alabama Office of Radiation Control.
Industrial x-ray registrants are subject to inspection by the Agency staff. The frequency of such inspections ranges from one to five years, depending on the type of non-medical x-ray registration.
If you wish to be a servicer of non-medical x-ray equipment, you must also register with the Agency. The appropriate form (Registration of Radiation Services For Non-Medical X-Ray Equipment) is also available on our Forms page.