Alabama's Plan First Program is a family planning program for women and men. Family planning can help you and your family have a better life. We are glad you have chosen Plan First!
Good news! As of August 1, 2015, Plan First began coverage of vasectomies for men.
With Plan First, mothers and babies have a better chance of being healthy. Parents can better provide for their family, both financially and emotionally. Children get more time and attention.
Plan First provides for women ages 19 to 55:
- a yearly family planning exam
- care support from a social worker or nurse
- some types of birth control such as, birth control pills and Depo-Provera shots
- tubal ligation (tube tying) for women 21 years or older
- lab work such as, testing for pregnancy and STDs
- help in planning when to have a baby
Plan First provides for men ages 21 or older:
- vasectomy (permanent birth control for men)
What's Not Covered
Primary care/medical services are not covered by Plan First. Plan First covers family planning services only. You can receive primary care/medical service, such as treatment for blood pressure and other medical conditions at any community health center. For more information about Alabama's community health centers, call the Plan First Hotline toll-free at 1-888-737-2083.