News and Events
FDA Finalizes Menu, Vending Machine Calorie Labeling Rules
The FDA has finalized the calorie labeling rules for standard menu items in restaurants and retail food establishments, as well as for food sold in vending machines. You can see the final rules below:
National Walk to School Day 2014
Celebrate National Walk to School Day on October 8, 2014. Schools can visit Walk & Bike to School to register their event and to download customizable flyers and tools. The site will track how many schools from Alabama register. 32 schools participated statewide in 2013, and we are hoping to surpass that number in 2014. For more information on hosting an event, contact Nick Sims, program director for Safe Routes to School of Central Alabama and coordinator for Alabama Action for Healthy Kids, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (205) 458-2166.
The Safe Routes to School National Partnership is excited to partner with CLIF Kid to support schools participating in Walk to School Day. Sign up now to receive a FREE CLIF Kid Kit to support your school's efforts with activity sheets, safety tips, and plenty of CLIF Kid Zfruit and Zfruit+Veggie Ropes. First come, first serve!
Live Better Mobile Diabesity Conference
Community leaders, employers, education and community officials interested in a healthier, more productive community and workforce are invited to this conference. Participants will learn obesity and diabetes rates, how Mobile compares to other communities, causes of this epidemic, true costs to the community and how to work together to prevent diabesity and live healthier. Attendees are also invited to participate in a Health Fair throughout the day. The conference is scheduled for Thursday, November 6, 2014 at the Mobile Convention and Visitors Bureau. Check Live Better Mobile or email email@example.com for more information.
Scale Back Alabama
Scale Back Alabama is a statewide weight-loss contest that encourages citizens to pursue a healthier lifestyle by eating right and exercising. The 2014 campaign saw more than 25,000 people lose a combined 114,511 pounds. Visit Scale Back Alabama for more information.
Alabama's Wellness RX: Healthy Families, Healthy Schools, and Healthy Communities
The Alabama Obesity Task Force, Action for Healthy Kids and The Southeast United Dairy Industry Association, Inc., joined together to host Alabama's Wellness RX, a one-day summit in October 2013. The summit was designed to promote activities and decisions that would improve the health of Alabama communities. The following presentations were shared with participants during the summit.
- Empowering Families in the Struggle of Childhood Obesity (3 MB) (Dr. Stephenie Wallace, MD, Children's Health System General & Adolescent Medicine)
- Breakfast + Physical Activity = Healthier Students Ready to Learn (4 MB) (Dr. Robert Murray, Ohio State University)
- A Chat From the Chairs - Community Panel (4 MB)
- Physical Activity: Add Years to Your LIfe and Life to Your Years! (6 MB) (Hank Williford, PhD, FACSM, Auburn University Montgomery)
- School Panel: The Salt Monster - From Concept to Reality (George L. Daniels, PhD, The University of Alabama and Eric Cooks, MA, CHES, The University of Alabama)
- School Panel: The Saving Lives Initiative
- Photos: Alabama's Wellness RX (7MB)
- Ending Childhood Obesity Within A Generation