News and Events
Scale Back Alabama
Scale Back Alabama is a statewide weight-loss contest that encourages citizens to pursue a healthier lifestyle by eating right and exercising. The 2014 campaign saw more than 25,000 people lose a combined 114,511 pounds. Visit Scale Back Alabama for more information.
Alabama's Wellness RX: Healthy Families, Healthy Schools, and Healthy Communities
The Alabama Obesity Task Force, Action for Healthy Kids and The Southeast United Dairy Industry Association, Inc., joined together to host Alabama's Wellness RX, a one-day summit in October 2013. The summit was designed to promote activities and decisions that would improve the health of Alabama communities. The following presentations were shared with participants during the summit.
- Empowering Families in the Struggle of Childhood Obesity (3 MB) (Dr. Stephenie Wallace, MD, Children's Health System General & Adolescent Medicine)
- Breakfast + Physical Activity = Healthier Students Ready to Learn (4 MB) (Dr. Robert Murray, Ohio State University)
- A Chat From the Chairs - Community Panel (4 MB)
- Physical Activity: Add Years to Your LIfe and Life to Your Years! (6 MB) (Hank Williford, PhD, FACSM, Auburn University Montgomery)
- School Panel: The Salt Monster - From Concept to Reality (George L. Daniels, PhD, The University of Alabama and Eric Cooks, MA, CHES, The University of Alabama)
- School Panel: The Saving Lives Initiative
- Photos: Alabama's Wellness RX (7MB)
- Ending Childhood Obesity Within A Generation