Donít Smoke, Drink or Do Drugs
Donít! Hereís why:
- Women who stop smoking greatly reduce their risk of dying prematurely.
- Cigarette smoking is the major cause of lung cancer among women. About 90% of all lung cancer deaths among U.S. women smokers are attributable to smoking.
- Smoking is a major cause of coronary heart disease among women.
- Women smokers have natural menopause at a younger age than do nonsmokers, and they may experience more severe menopausal symptoms.
- Women who smoke have an increased risk for having problems getting pregnant.
- Ladies who smoke during pregnancy risk major pregnancy complications, premature births, low-birth-weight babies, stillbirth, and infant death.
- Studies show a link between smoking and the risk of sudden infant death syndrome among the children of women who smoked during pregnancy.
- Women who smoke have a higher risk for ectopic pregnancy and spontaneous abortion.
- Ladies who smoke are more likely to have rheumatoid arthritis.
- Smoking stains your teeth, gives you bad breath and makes your clothes, skin, and hair smell bad - who would want to kiss that?
Just A Sip!
Nope. There is no known safe amount of alcohol to drink while planning to become pregnant or if you are sexually active and do not use effective birth control. There is also no safe time during pregnancy to drink and no safe kind of alcohol.
Consuming alcohol during pregnancy can:
- cause a miscarriage.
- cause a stillbirth.
- result in low-birth weight.
- cause the baby to have abnormal facial features.
- affect babyís brain development.
If a woman is drinking alcohol during pregnancy, it is never too late to stop. The sooner a woman stops drinking, the better it will be for both her baby and herself.
Taking drugs even once in a while or in small dosages can be harmful to you. Drugs can cause damage to your organs and lead to serious infections.
Using drugs during pregnancy can cause:
- a baby to be born too soon or too small.
- a miscarriage.
- withdrawal symptoms for you and your baby.
- birth defects.
- learning and behavior problems in your child.