The Alabama Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (ABCCEDP) provides free breast and cervical cancer screenings for women who meet eligibility guidelines. Free services include a pelvic exam, pap smear, clinical breast exam, mammogram, and diagnostic services such as an ultrasound, colposcopy, or biopsy, if needed.
For more information about free screenings, contact ABCCEDP toll-free at 1-877-252-3324 or contact your local county health department.
Eligibility Guidelines for Free Services
- Women ages 40 to 64
- Women who have an income at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines - 2014 Income Eligibility Guidelines
- Women without insurance or who are underinsured
Health care providers who have contracted with ABCCEDP should enroll their patients through the ABCCEDP Online Med-It System.
For instructions on how to enroll a patient, please read the 2012 Med-It Enrollment Instructions.
Women Screened and Saved
Since the program's beginning in 10/1996 to 12/2013:
- 95,180 women screened
- 147,890 clinical breast exams
- 129,362 mammograms
- 81,757 Pap smears
- 1,819 cases of breast cancer detected
- 1,407 cases of cervical pre-invasive and invasive cervical cancers detected (122 invasive cancers)
2012 - 2013 grant year
- 16,440 women screened
- 12,841 clinical breast exams
- 12,722 mammograms
- 5,803 Pap smears
- 132 cases of breast cancer detected
- 131 cases of cervical pre-invasive and invasive cervical cancers detected (8 invasive cancers)