The Alabama Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (ABCCEDP) provides free breast and cervical cancer screenings for women who meet eligibility guidelines. Free services include a pelvic exam, pap smear, clinical breast exam, mammogram, and diagnostic services such as an ultrasound, colposcopy, or biopsy, if needed.
For more information about free screenings, contact ABCCEDP toll-free at 1-877-252-3324.
Eligibility Guidelines for Free Services
- Women ages 40 to 64
- Women who have an income at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines - 2013 Income Eligibility Guidelines
- Women without insurance or who are underinsured
Health care providers who have contracted with ABCCEDP should enroll their patients through the ABCCEDP Online Med-It System.
For instructions on how to enroll a patient, please read the 2012 Med-It Enrollment Instructions.
Women Screened and Saved
Since the program's beginning in 1996:
- 83,753 women screened
- 129,290 clinical breast exams
- 111,362 mammograms
- 73,248 Pap smears
- 1,625 cases of breast cancer detected
- 390 cases of cervical cancer detected
In the last grant year:
- 12,329 women screened
- 10,255 clinical breast exams
- 9,944 mammograms
- 4,437 Pap smears
- 137 cases of breast cancer detected
- 16 cases of cervical cancer detected